History of the Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix
It is in 1929, on April 14th at 13:30, under the honorary Presidency of S.A.S. the Prince Louis II that the Grand Prix of Monaco was born thanks in particular to President Anthony Noghes who showed a strong will in order to be able to organize in the smallest European state (after the Vatican) an event of this scale. His idea strongly supported by the Prince Louis II could be concretized thanks to its motivation and support of the famous pilot Monegasque, Louis Chiron.
At this date, 16 competitors leave for a race of 100 laps. This year there, the average speed was of 80,194 km/h.
Today the Grand Prix of Monaco is internationally known even by the least enthusiastic of motor sport and after various modification on the initial track (turn Sainte-Devote, the turn of the restaurant «La Rascasse»), the circuit measures currently 3,367 km. Due to its length the Grand Prix is limited to 78 turns.